21 February 2012

I am vegan and so can you

I don't know if you know this, but I'm awesome.  So are you.  I just wanted you to know how awesome I am now because I don't plan on mentioning it again.  My writing may stray toward self-indulgence (especially in this first post), but that's not the point.  You need to know stuff.  You already know I'm awesome.  So let's move on.

Being vegan is a pretty sweet deal.  If you've ever considered it, try it for two weeks and see how you like it.  It works best if you have friends and resources to help you - this blog, for example.  My two faves are The Uprising - my amazing friend Shelley's easy recipes, complete with witty banter; and The Post-Punk Kitchen - blog of Isa Chandra Moskowitz, THE vegan cookbook author.

I went vegetarian 16 years ago because of that one episode of The Simpsons.  You know, where Lisa turns vegetarian?  She goes to a petting zoo, meets an outrageously adorable lamb, and suddenly makes a connection between what she's being served for dinner that night - lamb chops - and the cute baby animal.  I was like, DUDE.  I don't want to eat cute animals either.  I'm with Lisa.

Now that I'm in my late twenties, it's a philosophy I still hold dear and can articulate with slightly more sophistication.  I see animals as our equals.  I wouldn't eat a human, so I wouldn't eat an animal.  I wouldn't make a human give me her breast milk to drink or make cheese with.  I certainly wouldn't make a human lay eggs for me to eat (ew, let's not even go there).

Then there's the health benefit.  I was never overweight, but even going from vegetarian to vegan I dropped an instant 5 pounds.  I feel so good about everything in my body!  You totally have super powers when you're vegan.  I LOVE to work out.  Seriously.  I biked 20 miles on Saturday.

As I approach the end of my endearingly self-indulgent post, there is one more thing you need to know about being vegan: IT TASTES SO GOOD.  You may think we only eat boring food.  As my homie Shelley likes to say, vegans eat more than iceberg lettuce and watermelons.  But with the right recipes, grocery purchases, and restaurants, vegans can eat the most wonderful things!  Just this Sunday, I shared not one but THREE vegan pizzas with my peeps in my very own pad.  My BFF Becca made this amazing one with barbecue sauce, pineapple, spinach, onion, bell pepper, and Daiya cheese.  Mmm.  I'm so glad I got the leftovers on that sweet deal.

This brings us to the purpose of the blog: to tell you where to find fabulous vegan fare.  My apartment, for one.  From here on out, we talk about good food.  Food in Minneapolis and food for globetrotters.  I already have a huge list of places upon which I'll expand, plus I'm going to Europe in a month with my hubs.  We will eat everything delicious and then I'll tell you all about it.  With relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment