28 June 2012

Yongin: Kimbab Jonkuk

Bibimbap is one of the most delicious foods in the world.  No, really.  CNN says so.  It's a common Korean meal that comes with rice, veggies, and gochujang (spicy chili paste), and the flavors are incredible once mixed together.

Kimbab Jonkuk (I think)
Bojeong-Ro
Giheung-gu, Yongin-si, Gyeonggi-do
South Korea
(82-31) 261-7891



You can find the stuff virtually anywhere in South Korea, so don't feel like you have to zero in on this exact location.  I saw lots at Gwangjong Market today.  This one just happens to be 5 seconds from AJ and Shelley's apartment.  Um, yes.  Seoul metro area gets major bonus points for having ridiculously delicious healthy food within arm's reach at all times.*




This place serves take-out bibimbap in a tofu-like plastic container with shrink-wrapped plastic across the top.  They'll throw a fried egg on, but just offer it to the resident ovotarian/AJ and the rest will be yours to pack in.

You're seeing my bibimbap after I already mixed it up.  You see, I had just arrived at Shelley and AJ's apartment after that long plane ride and a 2 hour journey from the airport.  I was starving.  But only in the way that people from affluent nations can starve, not in the way that people in concentration camps starve.  In case you weren't sure.  I mean, I get low blood sugar sometimes, but I don't think I'd have died without this meal.

... Maybe I would have.

The bibimbap here is only W4,000 ($3.46).  Chump change!  This meal filled me up, and I only ate a third of it!  Hello, leftovers.  Here you see rice, seaweed, greens, sprouts, mushrooms, and gochujang.  I would agree with CNN about their assessment, but insead of 40th best food in the world, I'd bump it up.  Definitely better than potato chips and shrimp dumplings.  Seriously, who even LIKES fried chicken anymore?

Best of all, I ate it during a glowing reunion with two of my favorite people in the world.  They're definitely in my top 40, along with Matt, Napoleon, that girl who works at the flower shop, bus drivers, and Q.

I wouldn't visit any of THEM if they lived in Korea, though.  Well, Matt.  But it wouldn't be visiting, it would be living with.  I'm a married woman, people.  Stop it.


* I will make you a bet.  I bet you that if you go anywhere in Korea and stick out your arm, you will automatically grasp delicious food and stuff it in your face.  W1,000.  Do it.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, well, CNN also said that the Supreme Court overturned Obamacare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't even think of stepping into North Korea.

      Delete
    2. I bet North Korea has universal health care. I mean, communism! How can that go wrong?

      Delete