2555 W 79th St
Bloomington, MN 55431
This happens to be the Starbucks inside the Bloomington Target. Did you know there were Starbucks inside Targets? It's like a dream within a dream. Er something.
First, let's talk ingredients. I asked Sister if it'd be easier to list vegan items or non-vegan items, and to my relief, she said it's easier to tell you what you shan't be consuming. (Yep, I said shan't.)
Starbucks Ingredients That Are Not Vegan:
- Milk (Well.)
- White mocha
- Whey protein powder (found in Vivanno Smoothies)
- Chocolate chips (found in Double Chocolate Chip Frappccino, Java Chip Frappuccino, and Mocha/Chocolate Cookie Crumble)
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce (used as topping in some drinks)
- Chocolate cookie sprinkles (also a topping)
Speaking of soymilk, Starbucks' is a little too soy-tasting. I find that in a soy hot chocolate I wind up being so distracted by the taste of the soymilk that I can't enjoy the chocolate. But you can solve that problem by grabbing a shot of hazelnut. Mm.
Now for the super special drink. Sister calls it the Banana Cream Pie. I also call it the Banana Cream Pie. So we're in agreement. It's not on the menu, mind you. She found the recipe in this rather amazing unusual drink recipe book under the counter and improved upon it until it became what you see in the picture.
It somehow really does taste like a banana cream pie. The cinnamon is key, as is the entire blended banana. That being said, the fruit flavor isn't overpowering. It really is a fantastic smoothie-type drink.
How, you say, can you also enjoy this spectacular off-the-menu treat? Why, I shall tell you. I'll give you Sister's recipe here - and it probably won't make any more sense to you than it does to me - then you give it to a Starbucks barista. If she's not busy. And there's nobody behind you.
Banana Cream Pie
- 2/3/4 pumps coffee (optional)
- Soy to bottom line
- Blender (pink soy)
- 1/2/2 pumps toffee nut
- 1/2/2 pumps cinnamon dolce
- 1/2/3 scoops vanilla bean
- 1/2/3 creme base (even with coffee frap roast)
- Tall/grande ice
- Cinnamon sugar on top
And that is a Sister original. Well, except for step 4 she actually wrote "Blanabba," and step 10 was "BLEND THAT B*TCH." Poor dear. We're looking into assisted living.
There you have it, vegans! Starbucks is now yours to command. Take control. Order yourself something crazy. Just don't cross the streams.
* Despite my sophisticated turn of phrase, you don't actually have to "ask for" Birdy. You'll be able to read the baristas' nametags. Unless you're illiterate. In which case you're doing a really good job of reading right now, so stop telling people you're illiterate, you piece.