27 July 2012

Seattle: Cinnamon Works

Pike Place Market, for those of you who've never been, is a fun yet disorganized cluster of shops all built on top of each other, like The Burrow or St. Paul.  It's super great for wandering around aimlessly.  It's less great when you're looking for a specific shop you've never been to before.

Plus, it smells like fish.  I had to say it!  It smells like ALL THE FISH.

But it's worth going.  If you plug your nose.

Cinnamon Works
1530 Pike Place
Seattle, WA  98101
(206) 583-0085


Cinnamon Works has a handful of vegan bakery items, like muffins and stuff, along with some gluten free options.  In and of itself, that's not that remarkable for Seattle.  What drew me here was the promise of a vegan cinnamon roll.  I don't think I've ever had one that I didn't make myself.  I would brave the dead fish for that.

The cinnamon roll is $4 and completely perfect.  My first whiff smelled strange; too sweet, like maple syrup.  It may have been the fish interfering.  My first bite, however, was everything I ever dreamed of.  The weird maple taste was gone, replaced by the soft, doughy, chewy, moist texture of the roll.  I died.  Somewhere in the haze, I realized maybe the icing had a little maple taste.  And it was a credit to the confection.

As long as we're talking about bakeries in Seattle, allow me to also recommend Top Pot.  Shelley turned me on to them - they're a chain with several locations around the Emerald City, and apparently they have VEGAN DOUGHNUTS.  Kay.  'Nuff said.  Go get 'em, tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment