18 July 2012

Seattle: Daily Grill

Seattle is WAY vegan friendly (especially when your mom pays for all your food).  It's the kind of city where you can duck into any (non-national chain) coffee shop and find a vegan cookie to go with your soy chai.  Thanks also to the major Asian population, amazing ethnic restaurants abound - and we all know how easy it is to eat vegan at those.  I might even have to swallow my pride* and concede that - gulp - Seattle is MORE vegan-friendly than our near and dear Minneapolis.




I spent three days here with Mom, and thanks to our early Saturday flight we got in with time to spare for a second breakfast.  As serendipity would have it, we wandered into a surprisingly accommodating restaurant.

Daily Grill
629 Pike Street
Seattle, WA  98101
(206) 624-8400






Fresh-squeezed orange juice is the cat's pajamas.  This stuff, for $4.25, tasted like they just grabbed an orange and squished it over a glass, all tart and refreshing and pulpy.  Well.  This is probably what they did.  Fresh-squeezed obvious juice.



 Granola!  Surprise!  Vegan granola!  'Course I'd already chomped through one bowl at home at the ripe young hour of dark-thirty, but Shelley can tel you all about the bottomless pitt I pack this stuff into.  Another bowl?  Yes, dammit.  And put some fresh strawberries on it, for god's sake.  Wait, you got soymilk?  Yes?  Is this my birthday?!

Kay, the bowl was $8.50, and the strawberries were an extra buck.  The granola tasted sort of like commercial cereal - a little sweet and branny.  It was good!  All those oats, dried cranberries, raisins, and almonds were just what I needed.  Plus, I truly enjoyed strawberries for like, the sixth time in my life.

If you were so inclined, you could also get oatmeal here.  But you prolly want a second bowl of granola too.  I know.  It's okay.  There's a place for people like us - it's called Shelley and Alli's Circle of Friends.


* I tried to swallow that pride, but it stuck in my throat and I had to wash it down with some water from Lake Calhoun.

No comments:

Post a Comment