08 January 2013

Minneapolis: Safari

It seemed weird that Matt and I had never gone out for Somali food, considering the size of the thriving Somali community in the Cities.  I mean, duh.  So we Captain Adventured it up.

Image from Safari

Safari
3010 4th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55408
(612) 353-5341

Okay, I almost don't want to tell you this because when our server arrived with this item at the beginning of our meal, I was utterly surprised and delighted.  I'll give you a hint.  It starts with a b and rhymes with schmanana.

I'll also show you a picture.


Our bananas (the jig is up) were served alongside a green chili dip - shigni - which is spicy.  As.  The inside of the sun.  We wimped out.  Didn't use it much.  Next time we come here (because we knew within minutes there would be a next time) I plan to make better use of the shigni.  I'll use it to liven up my beans, mix into my veggies, and line the inside of my eyelids.  Yes.  I will be a spice badass.

We started with Foule Mudammes for 5 bucks - a nice big plate of hot, creamy, amazing-smelling fava beans.  The flavor of roasted garlic carried this thing.  It's comfort food to the max.  And it will make your breath smell so amazing.


If you feel inclined to order the Mufo Veggie Special for $6, you'll have to request it without cheese.  That bread's pretty stellar, though.  Mufo?  Uh.  Yum.  Fried bread, basically.  Like I said, we'll be going back here.

The Liibaan Special also took a minor adjustment - you'll have to order it without the meat.  But dude, it's totally awesome.  You get veggies, hummus, and buttloads of pita.  The greens, carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper, and eggplant were just a titch overcooked, but carried a unique spice and good heat.  The hummus, coated in olive oil, was phenomenal.  Like, we're talking Holy Land phenomenal.  Scoop that up with the veggies in a piece of moist, toasted pita, and you will be on cloud nine.  $10.  Srsly.


Think I'll run here on my next Sunday 10-miler.  Yes.  I'll show up in my UnderArmour (which smells amazing, B T dubs), panting and blowing my nose into my sleeve.  Better remember to stick my credit card to the inside of my glove.  Won't really be able to take leftovers with me, so I'll have to stuff my face.

It's nice to have goals.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never had Somali food, which seems insane living in MPLS. I'll definitely be checking this place out soon! Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks friend! Yeah, you gotta go. It's stellar.

      Delete
  2. They just put a banana on the table in front of you? That's awesome. Fxxk plates, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! It was love at first fruit.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete