15 July 2013

Tokyo: San Francisco Peaks

Traveling, of course, does require a little flexibility.  Sometimes you just don’t have a plan when the hunger strikes you, so you have to use your finely honed vegan instincts to stare into the soul of each restaurant you walk past.  The trick is to decide without stopping whether the place will satisfy you or not.  Shelley and I joined forces and easily settled on this place.


It may or may not have been the English signs amidst a sea of Japanese characters that drew us in.


San Francisco Peaks
3-28-7 Jingumae
Shibuya-ku, 150-0001 Tokyo
Japan
+81 3-5775-5707


Shelley, forever and always a salad enthusiast, ordered the Garden Salad for ¥900 ($9.06).  It came with a raspberry vinaigrette, salt, pepper, lemon, lettuce, tomato, and the special guest star: fresh dill.  A simple and lovely bunch of veggies.


I ate some.

I have a tendency more toward calorie-stuffing, so I ordered the Vegetable Burger without cheese.  At first I expected a veggie patty, but as Shelley and I inspected the menu we realized I was going to be receiving a veggie sandwich on a bun.  That’s exactly what I got – meh!  I’m not complaining.


The delish sesame bun came slathered in mayo, which I took great pains to scrape off.  When it looked like it was all gone, I pressed the flat of my knife against the inside of the bun, and more yellow-white oozed out.  Just thinking about it makes me want to blow chunks.  But my hunger drove me forward, and once I had gotten as much mayo out of my bun as I could, I assembled the whole sandwich: tomato, sprouts, lettuce and avocado.  I loved every bite.


The fries were more fritey – you know, how real French French fries are skinnier and healthier-tasting than American fries?  They came with this fab tangy seed-filled mustard that Shelley and I practically lapped up out of the dish.

Our hunger satisfied, we emerged into the world once again and continued our vegetable-powered Harajuku shopping extravaganza in such totally foreign stores as H&M, Forever 21, and Starbucks.  We are true women of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment